Friday, November 2, 2012

Cole's Theology Lesson

So, I'm driving home with Cole and as usual we are in deep conversation.  We were talking about a friend in his class who has some extreme behavior problems.  After much discussion regarding Cole's frustrations and his friends lack of improvement, I suggested that the only thing left to do was for us to pray for this friend. At which point, Cole said:
"Well, I don't think it's going to help!"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, I think he just needs a PUNISHMENT!"
(Well, I do see his logic...) "Well, how about we pray and ask God to help, and let his mommy or daddy take care of the punishment?" [Now this is the point where our conversation took a funny turn.  The "his" I was referring to was the friend in the class.  The "His" Cole understood was God. Hence the following comical responses.]
"He doesn't have a Mommy or Daddy!"
(WHAT???) "What do you mean he doesn't have a mommy or daddy?"
"He's a....you know...ah..I don't know this word, it's a big word...I guess He's a grown up."
(WHAT??) "Well, then who picks him up?"
"Uh, No one picks him up! He walks on his own. He comes and goes when He wants to and He follows us wherever we go"
[Oh, man.  This kids must be a legend.  The kids in the class think he is a grown up and he comes and goes from school on his own! Wow, this is crazy!]
At this point, I asked Cole a clarifying question and realized that he was referring to God.  Since Cole was still thinking I didn't understand God, he continued to explain that God does not have a family He just has friends, He is "like the Man in the Yellow Hat" He just is!"

Thought you might enjoy this!

1 comment:

Cécile said...

Precious! Just shows you need to be clear when to talk with little ones.