Saturday, October 18, 2008

Our Last Tomato Crop


I took this picture about 2 weeks ago and didn't bother transferring it from my camera to the computer right away. So, this is a little out of date, but I thought this picture was pretty cool.
We have been neglecting our tomato plants all summer (well I'm sure Nick has been watering them), but we have been slow to pick the ripe tomatoes. So, we've been feeding the wild life in our yard all summer! I finally decided that I was going to do something about this and I picked every decent looking tomato. I made three trips in and out of the house. I believe this picture was taken after trip 2. I spent the next day and a half cutting them up and freezing them in batches. Some of them ended up being used in a homemade tomato sauce. Last week we got one more batch of tomatoes and cut some of the plants down. I think we have a few more green tomatoes out there that we may harvest--but that's about it. Maybe next year we will be better stewards of our fresh tomatoes...actually I'm hoping to plant other vegetable plants. This summer was just not the right summer to start a garden!:-)

1 comment:

Cecile said...

Kudos to you for planning a garden. Those tomatoes look wonderful. I love home-grown tomatoes, but they don't grow well in Duluth, so I just have to admire others.