Thursday, February 4, 2010
Pooping success!
Just had to record this so I'd remember how Cole progressed. I was reading back through my blogs and realized that Dec 9th is when I recorded Cole signing "poop" for the first time as a way to tell me he needed to go. Since then, he has been pretty regular about going in the morning--because we put him on the potty first thing. Lucky for us, he tends to poop in the morning. At other times of the day, we have to rely on our ability to spot "the look" and rush him to the potty. We're pretty good at it, but at least 50% of the time, I don't get him there in time. BUT, Woot, woot, three times this week Cole has told me he needed to go "poop" all by himself, w/out any prompting from either of us. Twice he was successful--once he was a little constipated...he tried...but no success. He hates having a poopy diaper so he is motivated. Unfortunately, he could care less about a wet diaper...hmm...I wonder when he'll start to care! On a good note, his daycare is putting him on the potty a few times a day. They started today and apparently he peeed at least once! Who knows, being consistent between home and daycare may just speed up this process:-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Wow that's great. He's young for this sort of thing, isn't he? Hey the sooner the better I say.
Young, yes. But, not too young. There are many different philosophies and different ways people choose to potty train. I found a method that seemed to make sense to me and I thought Cole could handle it. The plan was to start at 1 year just sitting him on the potty a few times a day. I would praise him just for sitting on the potty--no negative feedback for dirtying his diaper (which is easy to do, b/c no one expect a 1 year old to have a dry diaper!). If he just so happened to do something in the potty, I would praise him--but keeping in mind that the real goal was for him to sit on the potty, so success or not--he deserved praise.
Well, wouldn't you know it, but Cole took to pottying like a fish to water:-) He got the hang of it pretty quickly. Of course, it will be a while before his body is mature enough and he is mature enough to be completely potty trained. I like to call this pre-potty training:-) It just so happens that his new daycare teacher used the same method to train her daughters....so it works perfectly to keep the method the same at home and school.
Leslie...is this method from a certain book or website you can send me to? I'm open to ideas. Keziah sits on the potty a few times aday and pees (at best) 50% of the time. She usually tells us after she has peed or pooped in her diaper, but never before. Suggestions on getting to that next level??
Oh, and as far as Cole peeing on the potty, Robin Walsh says boys are easier to potty train because you can pour warm water on them while they sit on the potty and it triggers them to pee...you may try it and see what happens. It didn't work with Keziah, although she did think it was fun times!!
Carlee--I just happened apon this book at the library called "diaper free by three". http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Free-Before-Healthier-Toilet-Diapers/dp/0307237095/ref=sr_1_109?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265673000&sr=1-109) It's written by a pediatrician who had an eastern European (I believe) nanny who showed the pediatrician how to potty train her child! Her basic philosophy was to start putting children on the potty as early as you can and just make it a part of their routine--actually going on the potty is just a bonus and not really the initial goal (that helps us adults not get so frustrated!). The idea is to start before they get too set in their ways and feel that "potting" is a disruption to their day.
I did some googling and I found this website that has part of the first chapter of the book:http://www.enotalone.com/article/11582.html.
I also used some of the ideas from the Baby Signs website that has a book that uses signing to help train...I just used a sign for "pee" and "poop" to reinforce the concepts.
To be honest, Cole is probably a long way from being potty trained...but he is not intimidated by the little potty or the big toilet that we get to flush things down! He usually cheers and says "bye-bye". Cole too is probably only 30% effective at peeing in the potty and poops regularly only b/c he pretty much poops on a schedule (lucky us:-).
Here are a few things I've discovered w/ Cole, they may or may not help you:
1. One of the best time to sit him on the toilet is before bath time. (water is running...which can only help. Plus they are already naked. And, less likely to pee in the tub!)
2. First thing in the morning and right after nap (sometimes he is a little fussing about being thrust onto the toilet...sometimes I keep the lights dimmed). He allways pees right after he wakes up or as he is waking...about 50% of the time we make it to the toilet in time.
3. Start with once a day at a time when he or she will be most successful and make it part of your routine, then add more times slowly.
4. I have plenty of bath books (seems more sanitary), bath toys and other washable play things that Cole can play with while sitting on the potty. I sing silly songs with him. We practice naming all of our body parts....let's just say if we're going to spend this much time in the bathroom we might as well make it part of our play time too!:-)
Carlee--I meant to add that it's great that Keziah is telling you that she has peed or pooped! I think a lot has to do with them just figuring out how their bodies work, so the fact that she is aware (even if it is after the fact) is really a good step in the right direction. Cole has no clue right now if his diaper is wet or dry...at least he's never made the slightest protest that his diaper is wet.
I would just pay attention to what times of day she is peeing a try to anticipate for her. I'd also still rush her to the potty and go through motions (although I speed it up since I know there's no hope of success), just to help reinforce the concept.
Leslie, thank you so much!
We're following most of those suggestions, but whenever I know Keziah has already gone in her diaper, I figure it's a lost cause and don't even attempt to get her to the potty. But you're right, it makes sense to get her there anyway to help her put the two together...thank you!! I'm going to check out the snipit from the book. Thanks!
Great! You'll have to keep me posted on how things are going. I think it's about time I rent the book from the library again (I know, I'm cheap, cheap, cheap:-). I do believe there are some more tips about using cloth training pants, letting the kid run naked at times etc...All ways to help speed up the awareness. I know my Mom had us run naked for a week and that's how we potty trained--I'm guessing we were over the age of two at that time. Molly had a lot of success with the "Potty Party" concept--I think there's a lot on the web about that. Although, I don't think that method is effective until they are much older. I tried putting Cole in regular underwear on a Saturday morning back in November. He peed right through his clothes and kept playing!! That's when I knew I'd have to wait a while before trying that technique again:-) But, Keziah may be old enough for some of those things...
Post a Comment