Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Update on Potty Time:-)

I realized that I didn't add anything about potty time on my monthly update post. So, here's the scoop on Cole's pre-potty training. I call it "pre-training" b/c, clearly, Cole's not developmentally ready for a full blown potty training attack. What we are doing right now is just making the potty part of our daily routine (he sits on it 3-5 times a day) and making the whole experience enjoyable, so that when he is ready it won't be such a dramatic experience. Plus, Cole really enjoys it!
So, here's what I've learned so far.
1. Going #1 is too unpredictable for Cole, so I don't really try to "catch" him at the right time. I just put him on the potty at least once in the morning and once in the evening. I have found that right after he wakes up and right before bath time are the most likely times for success.
2. Going #2 on the other hand is quite predictable and easy to catch--seeing as his face turns red and he grunts! Nick and I are both pretty good at catching him and he can usually make it until we get him on the potty.
3. He really likes going #2 on the potty! I didn't realize this until I experienced it with Cole (although I did read about it), but toddlers prefer going #2 on the potty and not in their diapers.
  • Sitting (or squatting) is the easiest position for them and, obviously with a diaper on, sitting is not very desirable!
  • It takes only one wipe to clean up after using the potty and not the mega tons it takes to clean up after a diaper:-)
  • If he goes #2 on the potty, he most likely won't go #2 again for the rest of the day. But, if he doesn't use the potty, we may get as many as 3 dirty diapers! (which leads me to conclude that he is more thorough on the potty. And, I've have to admit that he has on occasion completely filled his little potty! There's no way his diaper could have held that much!!!).

4. Cole is learning the words "potty" and "poop". I asked him where the potty was the other day and he immediately pointed to the bathroom! Also, if you say the word "poop", he will make his grunting noises--I think he may be trying to make the sign for it as well, but right now his gestures are too random to know for sure.

No comments: