I just had to share a little snippet of our activities this evening. As I've mentioned before we've been working with Cole on bathroom signs. So far, he's made the sign for poop while on the little potty. I'm pretty good at guessing when he needs to go, so more often than not we have success! Tonight was a first, though...
Cole was finishing up his dinner. He had eaten all his bananas so I asked him "would you like some 'more' or are you 'all done'". He just stared at me for a few seconds, so I repeated myself and then out of nowhere he made the sign for 'poop'--well I wasted no time getting him out of his chair and on the potty. I was expecting that we would be too late and that I'd just have to change his diaper, but too my surprise, Cole's diaper was dry! This is not an uncommon time for him to go, but it was the first time that he made the sign anywhere other than in the bathroom, so I was a little skeptical about the accuracy of the sign. Once on the potty, I offered him the choice between three books (b/c pooping time can take a while:-). He points to the whale book while making the sign for 'fish' (he wiggles his hand and says "ooohoooh"--the sound has been his addition to that sign, don't know where he got it, but he allways does it when he signs 'fish'). We get to the last page of the whale book and he looks at me puzzled and signs "ball". I realize that he is refering to one of his other books, "oh, do you want the book that has a ball on the last page?" So, we look at this book, which has a 'ball', 'crab', 'duck', 'dog' and a 'bird' which he can sign. Intermitently, he keeps signing 'poop' as he is having success in the potty:-) Ah...what can I say, I love potty time and I love it even more when Cole tells me he needs to go!
2 comments:
Wow! Signing is really working out for you guys! Kudos for starting early and sticking with it!
Ya, signing becomes second nature after a while. The easiest thing is to learn the signs for the things in his books. I don't know why, but he learns faster from his books. I think he signed "ball" in his book, before he signed "ball" while playing. He learned to sign "flower" from the Zaza book (zebra book you got him)--so I went outside and cut a rose for him to smell & touch--It SCARED him. He didn't want to have anything to do with the real thing. LOL
Post a Comment